September update killed plex on my Vero 4K+

So had my Vero 4k+ for several years after the first setup things have been pretty smooth even going to version 19.

I only use the Vero 4k + for Plex and the September update just killed it.

Basically Plex now takes twice as long to load after the Sept update, and any time I try and enter an area to actually play a video the remote stop working in plex and it won’t get to the play prompt, it freezes up and I have to try and quit plex but that usually hangs.

Pretty much the newest Sept update just killed what I use my Vero 4k + for.

It seems the Plex client after the Sept update no longer allows any live connection to my Plex server. It can’t pull any new images, won’t go to the play button on most area’s I was able to get a video to attempt to work but it never played and looking at the activity on my Plex server it was not doing anything and not streaming anything.

This happened directly after the Sept update as I played things yesterday perfectly fine

Any help or advice?

1 Like

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Ill get to reproducing the issue and uplaoding the logs in the morning.

If anyone else has this issue after the sept update please let me know

Without any logs it’s impossible to tell what the issue is, but the update has been well tested.

Which version were you running previously?

I was on the March update previously

I’m having the same issue. Here are some logs
https://paste.osmc.tv/puzisujiba
Everything was working fine before the Sept update. Plex starts automatically when i boot my Vero 4k+. The plex home screen appears to work, but when you click on a thumbnail to “open” the show it opens but then the remote stops working and you cannot select a file to play. The remote does work when you want to go back to the home screen.
Trying to exit plex seems to hang and i need to pull the plug from my Vero.

2 Likes

Yes that is 100% to a T the exact same behavior I’m having with Plex, worked great Saturday and the past 3 years then Sunday I did the Sept update and have this exact same issue with the exact same symptoms Alex has reported.

I do not start Plex automatically when I boot, but yea I had to pull the plug on the Vero + device as well when plex hangs during this issue. I’ll try and get my own logs updated later today but Alex’s issue is the exact same issue I’m having.

I also uninstalled plex, cleared the settings and reinstalled and set plex up from scratch and it has the same issues as described even after all of this.

I have been keep my vero up to date always

A bit late at night for me now, so no time to do any logging stuff, but I have exactly the same problem with Plex. Gets to the show thumbnails, but doesn’t open. Happens with both movies and TV episodes. Happened only after the September OSMC update which I applied today. (Plex works fine on my PC.) Was previously on March update.

When I try to play a TV episode, the play button is not highlighted, only the episode thumbnail. Using the remote produces the clicking sounds, but nothing happens.

2 Likes

Yep certainly seems like this is not an isolated issue with the Sept update. We are all seeing the exact same symptoms.

Exact, same problem here. In plex home I can choose my last unfinished movies (movie poster ok) but when launching, it only shows an image, not playing any movie. If I go to my movie folder, there are only empty thumbnails. If I quit Plex, it stays on the 3 dots. I have to tap on the “back” button to quit it. I was previously on march update as well and it worked flawlessly.

1 Like

Yep same behaviour here Oliver

The issue is with the official Plex add-on and they haven’t gotten around to updating it yet. There is the option to use the Composite or PlexKodiConnect add-ons or patch the broken one. If you want to fix the official Plex I wrote up instructions on how to accomplish that here…

1 Like

Is their anyway we will get a kodi update to fix this since plex worked fine in the march update and broke in the Sept update?

Id rather not hack around to get a major program fixed that an update broke. And also it may be a LONG time before Plex fixes this if it is a client problem.

We don’t have a mechanism (repository) to deliver our own Kodi add-ons yet, and it’s frowned upon to override official add-ons with your own version. This is because of problems with malicious add-on developers in the past. And if we fixed this add-on but bumped the version, it would prevent you getting newer updates from Plex unless they bumped their version higher than our version…

Briefly: we don’t touch what we don’t control.

Sam

How did a kodi system patch break plex but it is plex with the bug? Anyway I can revert to the March update?

Ive dealt with plex support before and this may never get fixed which makes my vero useless to me

Cant you guys push out an os update to allow plex to work like it did in the March update?

I wouldn’t classify what I posted as a hack. What broke is that this add-on has a command that is no longer valid in the newer Python version that came with the Bullseye update. What I posted is just updating the name of a command to the current standard and giving an incremental version number to the add-on so it updates correctly.

Plex introduced their Kodi add-on to get people to try and use Plex.

As soon as users made the move, the add-on was suspiciously not maintained anymore. I don’t work for Plex – and those that do, seem to not want to maintain their add-on. It’s on them to fix it and maintain it.

I don’t disagree that it should work – but I don’t have the time or knowledge to fix their own problems. It looks like @darwindesign has a solution.

You should question why that may be…

There are alternatives maintained by community members that do care, i.e. PlexKodiConnect.

Ugg this is a huge huge major bummer. I only bought a vero cause of how well it ran plex after dealing with bad playback on the xbox for years.

Anyway to revert my vero to the March version?

Yes – you can download from Download - OSMC and follow Reinstalling OSMC - Vero 4K - OSMC.

But keep in mind that @darwindesign has a version of the add-on that he has patched that will work with the latest and greatest version of OSMC. It’s just not officially supported and therefore not something we can really push out officially.

Either choice you make, we can help you get up and running.

I’m speaking to @darwindesign about this now.