VERO4K+ unable to play x.h265 HDR 4K and crashes [SADFACE] 2 to 3 min in to the Movie [Isolated to KODI 18]

Replicated the above issue again and another set of logs…

OSMC Logs when the issue occurred: [Soon after the sadface]

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Tue Aug 6 15:57:20 2019 from 192.168.2.49
osmc@MBRVero4Kplus : ~ $ grab-logs -A
Logs successfully uploaded.
Logs available at https://paste.osmc.tv/sagowojina
osmc@MBRVero4Kplus : ~ $

OSMC Logs with manual reboot:

Last login: Tue Aug 6 16:42:11 2019 from 192.168.2.49
Logs available at https://paste.osmc.tv/deweyamica

Replicated this time with a different movie. Also with Passthrough mode enabled.

OSMC Logs when the issue occurred: [Soon after the sadface]

Last login: Tue Aug 6 18:21:22 2019 from 192.168.2.49
Logs available at https://paste.osmc.tv/rozoxamisa

OSMC Logs with manual reboot:

Last login: Tue Aug 6 18:22:54 2019 from 192.168.2.49
Logs available at https://paste.osmc.tv/gocecidiwa

Can’t see how the issue would resurface as we shipped what you tested the other day. We simply made it public.

The problem never affected passthrough before

Thanks @sam_nazarko. Please look through all fresh logs I posted and let me know next steps.

I can happy to keep reproducing issue and upload logs but inform me specific scenarios you like as otherwise logs will be the same.

I need a few days to look in to this.

Sam

Just got back from holiday and installed the latest production version of OSMC and the sad face crash a few mins into a 4k mkv is not fixed. If I enable passthrough audio the crash does not happen. Is there something in staging I can try? One of my Vero’s needs to output PCM for compatibility with downstream hardware.

I need some new logs as I can no longer reproduce the issue after pushing a fix a week ago.

Sam

based on comments from @sniferx1, it seems that a staging release fixed the problem, but then the new production release broke it again. Is it confirmed that the fix did indeed make it to the production release?

Yes — the fixes did make it in to the stable release, which is why it’s a bit puzzling

Investigating.

here is a log.

https://paste.osmc.tv/cikaharaga

I ran an update from staging just in case, has not helped. One odd thing: if I disable “allow passthrough audio”, then re-boot the Vero, the allow passthrough option is enabled again. So this setting is not preserved as disabled under a reboot. So have to be very careful with testing, since if passthrough is re-enabled, playback does not crash. I can PM a link to an extract if helpful.

Do you mean that you have a small file which can be used to consistently reproduce the problem?

Sam

@sam_nazarko Any luck with this reported issue? I am continue to experience the same issue. I posted heaps of new logs after the latest prod update.

I can’t reproduce the issue anymore.
Will test again tomorrow

Sam

@sam_nazarko Thanks. Didn’t any of the logs I uploaded help? As per the above thred I have uploaded logs 3 times since the prod upgrade.

I am happy to upload more but please let me know how more logs will help over the already provided logs since the prod upgrade to latest.

@sniferx1, I have also PM’d a link to @sam_nazarko to an extract from one of my 4K mkv files to see if that helps with diagnosis, as I too have had the playback crash a few minutes into 4K titles, not sure which OSMC version introduced this bug, as the files used to play fine.

@sam_nazarko and OSMC Teams

It’s almost a month and requesting an update on this reported issue.

As I inform already this issue is replicated on my 4K+ BOX and other 3 4K boxes.

As a user I really want to get this issue fixed as I am kind is fed up of kids complaining about SAD face while watching movies.

I got no problems on my KODI install on my MAC Book therefore this is 100% related to VERO builds.

I am happy to provide more logs however someone clearly need to clarify why the provided logs not sufficient as even I upload new logs it will show the same issue.

P.S: I am disappointed that I had to use PLEX to play 4K movies until this issue resolved as I was a fan of OSMC since day 1 and this is the reason I supported the team by having 4 Vero boxes at my home.

If you can play without crashing when passthrough is turned on then you could set settings>system>audio>(make sure your viewing advanced or expert view)
Number of channels: 2
Allow passthrough: enabled
Dolby Digital capable receiver: enabled
Enable Dolby Digital transcoding: enabled
DTS capable receiver: disabled (unless you actually know you can pass this)

Not related to crashing but as a FYI you might want to give a check through your advancedsettings.xml file as I see some tags that were removed from Kodi quite a few years ago. It might be worth a revisit there. Keeping 200 recent items seems like a bad idea IMO. I see you commented out your insanely large cache but if your doing something that is memory heavy on your box you might actually want to override the fairly large cache that the Vero is defaulting to. I would probably go with something like 160MB with a read factor of 4 if you need it, or just setting the cache mode to 0 if you don’t.

@sniferx1 are you still using the upnext service? I seem to recall that it’s been causing other people problems. Try disabling it if you are still using it and see if that helps.

I’ve replied to your PM.

I can’t reproduce the issue since May 2019.

I suspect there may be an issue on the NAS side, as you’ve stated that this only occurs if the device is left overnight.

The logs you provided were for an older build of OSMC and we have made changes since then, which is why I was hoping to get some new debug logs highlighting the issue.

@sam_nazarko

I am currently experiencing 3 issues and for the sake of not mixing things I have kept them separate.

Issue 1: What reported in this thread [ SAD Face / Crash while playing 4K movies]

Issue 2: What reported in below thread and SAD Face while Skipping with progress bar

Issue 3: Each morning can’t play any movies and require to reboot the VERO device [This is the issue I PM you but now I have created a topic for public tracking]

I will post new logs regardless. I am using Synology NAS and nothing changed in the NAS side since KODI 17. I also post the NAS speed test results and we can’t blame the NAS.

Also I got no issues playing same 4K titles via my MAC KODI on WIFI and this also showing no issues at NAS side.

If you truly believe it’s NAS please share some tips and help to chase the NAS manufacturer.