Kodi 18 Released

Certainly I was testing it for several weeks but when I realized that a stable release will take another bunch of weeks (maybe a month or two) and since I don’t “need” DRM or other new Kodi 18 features I came back to 17.

Like it’s been said before, the code has to compile bug free, which it isn’t at the moment. And Sam is working with the Kodi team to clear this up.

Kodi 18 delivers me nothing new that I NEED. I’m happy to keep using 17. In fact, the automatic update to 18 on Win10 and Android actually caused issues with my Kodi mySQL setup, totally messed up my library now.

thats exactly the case for me too, and i suspect the different versions accessing the same database to be responsible for it. that is also why i am so eager about this update.

but as already said, trying to be patient…
I wish sam and the team good work!

cheers bendsch

Different versions of Kodi don’t access the same database. When Kodi is upgraded to a new major version, it creates a brand new database for the new version and copies all the data from the old database.

oh ok, this explains why the databases are not synchronous anymore … one more reason for the upgrade :slight_smile:

I’ve recently realized that OSMC-Kodi17 isn’t able to deal with a MySQL 5.7 running over Ubuntu, while Kodi17 can do it from Windows 10.

However OSMC-Kodi17 and Windows10-Kodi17 can “connect” to MariaDB servers, no matter which OS is hosting it.

If this behaviour is the same in OSMC-Kodi18 I’d warn potential users about using MariaDB builds on servers instead MySQL ones.

And, obviously, a full DB export/backup is seriously recommend if just only one client sharing the DB is upgraded to Kodi 18.

Once a OSMC-Kodi18 beta release is able to play VC-1 files and has all the OSMC “tweaks/customizations” added (not just the addon and the skin) I could test it again.

More info needed - have you reported this in the testing thread(s)?

I opened a specific thread almost two months ago:

And commented it in the testing thread.

Since then, I haven’t seen any note about already fixed.

And you never proved that the files you are trying to play are playing fine on Kodi v17

Thanks. I haven’t been following that but noticed some issues with VC-1 recently.

1 Like

Seriously, even Sam admitted that Kodi 18 still needed some “patches”. The files are three full BD-Remux which play flawlessly in OSMC Kodi17, in my LG internal player and even in 9.0.1 coreelec over a S905W box.

And I provided full logs…

It will be fixed for v18 proper.

Sam

3 Likes

huh? I run MySQL5.7 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with a Vero+ 4K running the stable OSMC-Kodi17… works fine…

All I can say is that Ubuntu 18.04, default MySQL installation didn’t worked for me. I had to uninstall it and install MariaDB to get rid of issues from OSMC-Kodi17 over Vero4k+.

yeah, that didn’t happen for me. the Kodi18 migration broke and only half the DB was migrated over. Plus between Kodi 15, 16 and 17 DB here wasn’t a DB migration needed.

Yeah, but this isn’t a OSMC issue, this is really how planned for Kodi18 to work. Rather than doing a proper migration and maintaining their DB structure, they just ask everyone to move over. They do this simply because they are tired of dealing with all the 3rd parties latching on to their platform and them getting blame for issue those 3rd parties cause.

Sam is honestly one of the few 3rd parties and actively contribute to Kodi also. So… all hail Sam!

odd… would have been beneficial to troubleshoot the issue instead of just laying the blame on OSMC-Kodi17… :wink:

But I kept MySQL over ubuntu 18.04 testing for several days because it worked using Windows 10 and Android Kodi 17 clients.

Then I installed MySQL in the OSMC from the default repository and I realized that it was a MariaDB build. So I replaced the engine in the Linux with the MariaDB build and… voila… it worked.

BlockquoteYeah, but this isn’t a OSMC issue, this is really how planned for Kodi18 to work. Rather than doing a proper migration and maintaining their DB structure, they just ask everyone to move over. They do this simply because they are tired of dealing with all the 3rd parties latching on to their platform and them getting blame for issue those 3rd parties cause.

of course … was not implying that … just saying that since half of my kodi-apps (on OSX) are already on 18 the ohter half should be upgraded maybe some time soon.

Just to clarify.

I detected and issue, I find a way to solve it, and I’m telling how I solved it.

Some bugs/limitations/incompatibilities/issues only show up under certain circumstances.

One of the most requested (and simple to provide) features for Kodi is an offline DB upgrade option so that a user could run the upgrade without actually upgrading Kodi and see if all went well and get better error information if it didn’t.

One problem with the current system is that you really need to upgrade using a device you don’t use much, so that if things go wrong, at least all the other devices can still get to the old database.

Another problem is that the user that connects to the Kodi database to do normal Kodi stuff (like add new files to the library) only needs permissions to the Kodi database, but during the upgrade, it needs permissions that would allow it to destroy your entire MySQL install if something went wrong. An offline script could use two users…one with more rights to do nothing but create the new database and grant rights to the regular user, and then the regular user to do the same sort of things it does all the time…add and change information in the tables.