OSMC's December update is here

Hi,

We hope you are enjoying an excellent Christmas break and wish you a Happy New Year! OSMC's December update is primarily a maintenance release. We have fixed a number of bugs and have introduced some small improvements.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://osmc.tv/2015/12/osmcs-december-update-is-here/
5 Likes

Hello Sam. Happy new year for you too. Thanks for the update. Will do that in a few minutes.

Thanks a lot Sam, you have done a fantastic job. Really enjoying the OSMC experience on my raspberry pi2. Keep up the good work. Hope you having a great festive season. Cheers Gary

Wish you and your team also a Happy New Year
and about the update just awesome.

A post was split to a new topic: Pi Config not working after December update

A post was split to a new topic: Problems after November release

A post was split to a new topic: Not booting after December update

A post was split to a new topic: Issue playing files after december update

Season’s greetings to you and your team and thanks for all the hard work…

Thanks a lot :+1:

I updated yesterday without any problems. Everything works fine on my RPI2.
GREAT JOB ! ! !

I wish you a happy new year!

Greetings
Mark

1 Like

@sam_nazarko I think you made the boot time too fast! :smile:

I have some scripts I launch from rc.local. After this upgrade, I noticed they now fail with network problems. I guess it has something to do with network state when rc.local is triggered (i.e. must now launch before network connection is ready, while this was never a problem before). Anyways, solved this by undoing your good work by putting in a manual delay sleep 10,

Thanks for the update!!

Can you share more about the performance tunables for the Pi 1 and 2? Thanks.

Performance tunables are now definable at a per-device level as well as the existing OSMC userland level. This means that we can set some global tunables and override them specifically for Pi 1 and Pi 2 depending on the device for some more fine tuned workloads.

Cheers

Sam

Thanks.

Is there documentation anywhere that shows what these tunables are? Eager to start playing around with configs.

rc.local is not synchronised to the network going up in any way - on my systems rc.local has always run before the network is up. It waits until the network manager starts, but not for the network to actually go up.

If you want to run services after the network is up your best option is to enable “wait for network” in the networking GUI, then create a systemd service to run your scripts, and specify:

After=network-online.target
Wants=network-online.target

In the [Unit] section of the service.

Another option is you could change rc.local to not run until the network is up by creating a file called /etc/systemd/system/rc-local.service.d/local.conf and adding only these lines in it:

[Unit]
After=network-online.target
Wants=network-online.target

This will delay all scripts run by /etc/rc.local until the network is up, or after a 60 second delay if the network never comes up.

@DBMandrake this is very interesting - thanks for sharing! :smiley:

I did not think rc.local was synchronized to the network status. It’s just that the boot time sequencing always worked out before (by luck, I suppose), and immediately after the December update the scripts failed every time with network errors. So the boot timing must have changed, at least on my Pi (i.e. the network is now coming up later than it was before)?

Slowing down rc.local with sleep=10 “solved” the problem. But obviously that is an ugly hack, so I will gladly try your suggestions in order to learn something new.

A post was split to a new topic: Pi b crashing

Just a note- the update to Samba required keyboard input during configuration, but I don’t have a keyboard or easy physical access to the Pi. I had to SSH in and run apt-get upgrade and then do the update through OSMC. I was afraid to run dist-upgrade on its own.

It’s a know issue that surfaced in the last couple of days

Nice!

However, I already had problems with Airplay before (irregularities when playing music, dropped connections, etc.), but now it doesn’t play anything anymore! For me, Airplay was the most important feature of OSMC/Kodi, so I was hoping it would work flawlessly when I decided not to go for an AppleTV.