OSMC's October update is here - OSMC

OSMC's October update is here with a large number of improvements. In particular, we've added support for new Raspberry Pi hardware and made a number of playback improvements for Vero 4K / Vero 4K +. HDR and bit depth switching should now work well without any manual configuration by users. Users should notice improved picture quality on these devices. We have now caught up on the Vero shipping backlog and we are offering prompt dispatch for all orders.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://osmc.tv/2018/10/osmcs-october-update-is-here-2/
10 Likes

Thanks Sam & Co!

RPI3
Navigation feels smoother
Noticeably better performance with DVD.iso containing menus/prequels

Vero4K
Hotpluging is wonderful
Noticeably cooler housing to the touch.

Keeps getting better:)

V4K still has trouble with a few DVD.iso disks with menus failing playback - looking forward to v18 improvements in this area :). (known issue with some fringe content).

1 Like

When should we expect to see the Kodi 18 features being implemented? After official release?

There will be test builds available in an official capacity shortly.
Otherwise, you can find builds on the forums presently, but they are more rough around the edges, as is the nature of pre-release software.

When Kodi v18 is finalised, it will only take us a couple of days to build and QA the release to make sure it’s appropriate for roll-out.

Cheers

Sam

3 Likes

What is the nature of the picture quality improvements? Is it for UHD HDR only, or is non-HDR also improved?

We automatically switch bit depth to match source content based on receiver capabilities. So colours will look better on a lot of content, not just HDR or 4K content.

1 Like

If I had the test kernal installed, do I need to undo anything after applying the October update?

No. It will be superseded

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Remote Control stopped working

I did the update and for me at least everything I threw at works in terms of playback so good work, I’m looking forward when kodi 18 gets implemented in the future.

Thanks for this update! Great work!

I’m still waiting for improvements of HDR to SDR conversion. Colors are off when i play UHD-BD rips (e.g. Star Wars Ep. 8 - The Last Jedi) on my 1080p TV.

Everything else is working perfectly!

We didn’t get around to that this month. It’s next on the list.

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Black screen

So happy with this update. At last great HDR and bit depth switching on the Epson beamer I am using (TW9300). UHD HDR BT.2200 with 12 bit 4:2:2.

Yes best update effer :smile:

Now awaiting 3D MKV or ISO MVC support :blush:

Can’t wait for it. I am one of those few with just a 1080p TV in 2018 and I do have a lot of 4k content I can test with

Hi Sam,

Did the fix for 8bit H265 files exhibiting colourspace issues make it into the October release?

Many thanks for all your hard work on this, once again.

Yes it did

2 Likes

Not before the release of Kodi 18. But that had its last beta yesterday so who knows, might not be too far off.

We should see Kodi v18 released on or around Christmas.

3 Likes